Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Prodigal Son/ Tough Love

I am asking myself what Stephan is learning from being away from home this time? The last time he learned that he couldn't afford to live on his own. Right now, he has no job... yes, you heard me right! He has no car.. he just wrecked it... yes, you heard me right again! Is he learning he can't afford to live on his own again? No, he already knows it, it's just a reminder...

Richard and I sat in the living room last night. It was storming, so Richard turned all the lights off. We have these glass windows up on the wall in the living room, so we enjoyed quite a light show as we had our coffee! The topic of our discussion was the Prodigal Son...

Luke 15: 11-32:
"11 Jesus continued: “There was a man who had two sons. 12 The younger one said to his father, ‘Father, give me my share of the estate.’ So he divided his property between them. 13 “Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living. 14 After he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in that whole country, and he began to be in need. 15 So he went and hired himself out to a citizen of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs. 16 He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything. 17 “When he came to his senses, he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired servants have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! 18 I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. 19 I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired servants.’ 20 So he got up and went to his father. “But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him. 21 “The son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’ 22 “But the father said to his servants, ‘Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. 23 Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate. 24 For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ So they began to celebrate. 25 “Meanwhile, the older son was in the field. When he came near the house, he heard music and dancing. 26 So he called one of the servants and asked him what was going on. 27 ‘Your brother has come,’ he replied, ‘and your father has killed the fattened calf because he has him back safe and sound.' 28 “The older brother became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him. 29 But he answered his father, ‘Look! All these years I’ve been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends. 30 But when this son of yours who has squandered your property with prostitutes comes home, you kill the fattened calf for him!’ 31 “‘My son,’ the father said, ‘you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. 32 But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’”

Richard and I talked about this son. The prodigal thought he knew what he wanted. His father gave him what would be due him and let him go. He ran through his money through riotous living, he tried to find work, no one would give him anything, he was starving! It took him making all kinds of mistakes to come to repentance. "He came to his senses" the Bible says. I am feeling like if we try and protect Stephan it is just prolonging this "coming to his senses" state of mind! God knows, I don't want him hurt... Oh, my goodness... I pray the Lord's protection on him. I pray that God would protect Stephan from his own sinful self and the things he is doing!
Setting rules and boundaries does protect our children. Children who want to be protected follow the rules and stay within the boundaries governed by their parents. Now, do they stray as tots or teens? Some, not too far, but others, you bet! But.. do they cry their eyes and apologize over and over.. as they veer back to their senses. In most cases, yes. In cases like our son's... no! I'm not a child psychologist, so I can't really ramble on and on about the "why's" in any scenario... I only have my child and the experiences with him to go on. I do know that every child is different... What we do with our son may not necessarily be what yours needs and vice versa!
We discussed letting him have the rest of his money, which isn't much.... but he has asked for it and knows we have it. Part of me is like no!! He will squander it... He has insurance to pay.. he should go to college... etc. Right now, he's not interested in insurance- he has no car! He's not worried about college either! I definitely don't want him breaking in and trying to find it.. although it's in the bank!! but... "IF" we gave it to him and he squandered it like the prodigal son.. "IF" he has no more friends to stay with and no money to buy drugs -or- food for that matter, will this make him "come to his senses?" Would knowing he has no home, no money left in the world, no means to travel or get to a job cause him to repent? I don't know....
I long for the day that I can say, " My son who was lost, is now alive again... he was lost but now he is found...."
Love is tough sometimes... I guess that's why they call it tough love!
"Oh Lord, give us the wisdom that we need to make the right decisions for Stephan. You love us... and when we sin, you chasten us.. because you love us. You are our Great Shepherd who lovingly directs us when we stray. Use us as your vessels to direct our son back into your arms once again." In Jesus Name... amen


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment! I would love to hear your thoughts...